I love making these but I do not like using the sticky Velcro and sewing through it. I had not sewn it on for the first three envelopes I made so this morning I sewed it on two of them while I still had green thread on the machine. Then, when I went to change the thread color, I could not thread the needle. I must have tried a dozen times and I kept thinking . . I’m going blind! I was able to do this first try every time just a couple of weeks ago. All the diseases/sicknesses that make you blind were running through my head . . ok, I only know of two but if I would have had my phone, I would have googled it and decided I had them all.
Then I realized the needle was all gunked up so I changed it, made three new bags, planned to go back to the gunked up needle to sew through the sticky velcro, then remembered I’d still have to thread the darned thing so I went and got a Q-tip, soaked it in alcohol, ran it up and down the needle, was able to sew the Velcro on but the machine would start skipping stitches so I had to clean the needle after every piece of velcro – six times to sew the velcro on three bags.
I could buy the non-sticky velcro but that’s not going to be fun to get in place. I don’t want to use a button and buttonholes. I’m afraid a big snap would eventually tear the fabric. Any suggestions for closure. I thought about making little eyelet openings and using ribbon but that would be too much temptation for Oscar. Anything that dangles or he can plan with should be avoided.
This morning I looked at the bobbins in my bobbin box and decided I would make project envelopes that will work with yellow thread til the yellow bobbin is empty, then I’ll move on to another color and try to empty out some bobbins. How’s that for good decision making skills? 🙂
Three new ones on top, three older ones on bottom. Maybe I’ll work on a rainbow and make a bunch of red ones next time.
These are really fun to make and they’re so fast. I had been lining them with a different color – something that matches. This morning the yellow one on the left was the last one I made. When I cut them, depending on the way the pattern goes on the fabric, my preference is to cut off 31″ from the length, then I have a piece that’s WOF x 31″. I can then cut 2 – 14″ x 31″ strips and have leftover fabric to cut strips for mounting to the frames or for making ties for my tomatoes. For that left yellow one, I used the same fabric for the lining as for the outer fabric. That wasn’t very exciting. I won’t do that again.
When I first made them, I thought I would make two per color but that would mix me up if I’m trying to remember what’s in each bag based on the strips sewn to the linen in the frame. It isn’t like there’s a shortage of fabric. I’ll figure it all out but I do need your ideas about fasteners besides sticky velcro.