I’m always surprised when I mention something I’ve eaten since I was a kid and thought everyone else ate it but I’m sure there are things y’all eat that I don’t know how to make.
This is basically the cucumber spread recipe I use except I do it a bit differently. Cucumbers are so full of liquid and I can’t imagine making it without draining the cukes and not ending up with a runny mess.
Here’s what I do and I never measure:
- The day before you want to serve this, peel the cucumbers and grate the edges. I grate the long way (not across the short side) and I only grate til I get to the seeds, keep turning the cucumber so no seeds end up in the grated cucumber.
- Drain on paper towels and continue changing to dry towels as those get soaked.
- Squeeze the grated cucumber in additional paper towels and place in a zipper bag overnight to continue to drain.
- Grate part of an onion if desired.
- Soften a bit of cream cheese (for four cucumbers, I start with about half of an 8 oz block) with just a bit of mayo and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add chopped green onions.
- Stir together the green onions, cream cheese mixture.
- Add salt and pepper.
Serve with crackers or with bread (sandwich).