This weekend we spent a lot of time talking about where we want to live. It is kinda sounding like Vince would agree to MO but somewhat east of Springfield and that’s going to put me farther from Chad than I want to be. It isn’t that I really want to live next door to Chad but we are getting older and it isn’t going to be that many years before we will need help with some things. Not to be morbid but it’s pretty likely that one of us will go before the other one and I think whichever of us is left, we’ll want to be close enough to Chad that we can have some interaction with him fairly often.
I’m even more confident now than I was before that Chad will not move to a different area. He really does like it where he lives and he’s happy with his job.
I had to laugh after Vince and I made our list for what we want in a house.
Here’s my list:
- Close to Chad – preferably in the same town but not in the city limits – out of reach of the red tag man, but I wouldn’t mind being within a couple of hours of them.
- Basement – main level with a basement. No second floor AND a basement.
- Wood stained cabinets – no painted cabinets
- Attached garage
- 3-1/2 baths. Don’t judge! Vince and I do not use the same bathroom so we need two full baths on the main level and I don’t want visitors using either of our bathrooms so we need a half bath on the main level. We need at least one bedroom and one full bath in the basement.
- Gas stove.
- No older than 5 years
- Live water
- Metal roof
- Not near a major road/highway
- No farther than an hour from decent medical services
- Good well
- Separate a/c unit for basement and main level
- Mostly brick or rock – not much wood, and no stucco.
And then . . there’s the price. I think between both of our wants and wishes, we aren’t going anywhere.
I understand the reasoning for everything he has on his list and I suppose he understands my list.
Here’s the plan: Sit tight til the end of 2021. Then we’ll try to narrow down the area in which we want to live. NW Arkansas is not out of the question. Then we’ll start looking for a house and hope to find a place and move by the end of 2022. Having a plan makes me feel better. A lot can change in two years.
So, if anyone finds a house in SW MO or NW AR that meets all our wants, I’d be happy to hear about it. I might could even talk Vince into making a move sooner rather than later. Another couple of weeks like we’ve had, with everything going wrong, and Vince may be the one wanting to move NOW.