About 99% of the time, when I start a project, all the yarn, the needles, and some kind of note with the name of the pattern and anything else I might need to know when I get back to that pattern all goes into the project bag. I make a lot of notes on Knit Companion but there’s always the possibility for one reason or another, I might not be able to use KC so having the written pattern in my files and at least knowing the name of the pattern is helpful.
Every now and then, I have some wayward project that refuses to conform to the rules.
This is my Blue Sand project. I started this sweater in January, 2015. That means it’s been lingering for almost five years. I made one for Nicole in 2014 and loved making it so it isn’t that I didn’t enjoy knitting it.
The pattern is for a long sweater. It looked cute on Nicole. She’s taller and way thinner than I am. When I made mine to the length suggested in the pattern, it was too long. The back is supposed to be longer and it kinda cupped around my butt and when I walked . . I didn’t like the way it looked. The sweater looked kinda like there were two critters under there tumbling around. OK . . bad visual but that’s what it reminded me of.
It had cute pockets. I knew that I don’t like pockets on my sweaters but they looked so cute on Nicole’s sweater so I added them to mine. The more I looked at it, the more I knew I didn’t want the pockets on there so it sat for several years.
I kept trying to convince myself that I liked it. I’d lose weight and like it more. When I did lose weight, I still didn’t like it so earlier this year I ripped back the extra length and removed the pockets
When I last worked on it, I had finished the bottom ribbing, as well as the front button bands and neck ribbing.
The problem for a couple of years was that I couldn’t find that pinkish yarn. It’s Madelinetosh DK and the color is Night Bloom, which had been discontinued for a while. I knew I had once made a sweater using Night Bloom, didn’t like the sweater and unraveled it but I thought it was sport weight. When I was re-organizing my yarn, I found the unraveled Night Bloom and, it was DK so it works and is a good match for the sweater.
Last week I got the sweater out to start working on the sleeves. I could finish these sleeves in two days if I’d just do it! Hard to believe but I couldn’t find the gray or navy yarn. How on earth could that have happened? I searched for a while, and gave up . . I knew I’d come across it sooner or later.
Yesterday I was gathering up the new Madelinetosh yarn that has arrived recently so I could take it to the sewing room and get it on the spread sheet. There was a tote bag (not a knitting project bag) in the corner of the extra bedroom and I grabbed it to carry the yarn over to the sewing room but it had something in it . . the navy and gray yarns, along with some other things I had with me in MO last time. Makes sense because the most recent photo of the sweater was taking in the hotel in MO.
As soon as I finish this cowl, I’m going to get those sleeves done before I lose part of it again!
Nelle Coursey says
How funny! Sounds like something I would/have done!
Susan Nixon says
I am always misplacing things. Pieces of fabric which I just had in my hand disappear for days into the alternate universe, usually reappearing in some other room in the house when I’m not looking.