My time here is coming to an end and there hasn’t been a single house come on the market that has interested me enough to see it. There haven’t been many at all . . maybe 3 or 4 new listings and they were all either too big and too expensive or didn’t have a basement.
There is a house near Chad that’s for rent so I looked at it and thought it might work. I called Vince and talked to him about it. He loves the idea of renting. If Chad should move, we can just pack up and take our toys back home, or find a rental near where he lives. We won’t be paying property taxes and probably won’t even get insurance because we won’t keep much stuff there. We won’t have to deal with maintenance (a/c, water heater, hail damage to the roof, etc.)
After thinking about the rental house for a while, I knew it wasn’t right.
- It does have a basement but it’s not a walkout and not finished but the worst part is that the laundry room is in the basement and the stairs are extremely steep. There’s a door going down to the basement and I’d have to keep that closed (Rita) but it opens towards the basement so don’t ask me how I get up the stairs, and in that door with a load of laundry without breaking my neck.
- There had been destructive dogs in the house previously and they had ruined all the carpet. The owner had pulled up all the carpet and was re-doing the wood floors. I’m not sure the smell will be gone.
- The appliances were pretty old – the house was built in the late 50’s. I told them I’d get my own fridge but I wanted them to replace the dishwasher.
- The back yard was maybe 10 or 12′ deep. The house behind this one is for sale. It has a fenced back yard and if they have dogs that bark, they would be right under our master bedroom window.
- Almost every window in the house had lost the seal and they were cloudy so you kinda felt like your vision was going trying to look out the windows.
- It has a carport and about a 15 or 20′ walkway to the house. I really want a garage so that when I’m there by myself, I can drive into the garage, and walk into the house without having to stand outside and unlock the door, plus, when there’s a lot of snow, I’d be tromping through the snow to get to the car and back to the house.
So, we decided against that. There’s a group here that has just a few house/condo type rentals. They’re all separate, each on a full size city lot. They have a two car garage, are fairly new and I think I can get the next one of those that comes up. My realtor said there should be one coming up within a couple of months and another coming up in about six months.
I think Vince is happier with a rental . . at this point, I will take anything I can get. We can keep looking for a house if that’s the route we want to take but in the meantime, it gives us a place where we can make memories with Addie – making doll clothes, cookies, gifts for family and friends, holiday dinners, etc.
Wish us luck please!