1- 1-1/2″ strips (I)
1 – 2-1/2″ strip (J)
For this fabric, I’m giving the instructions for cutting all you’ll need of the colored fabrics. Stick aside everything except (V).
2 – 1-1/2″ strips (L)
1 – 2-7/8″ strip. Cut into 12 – 2-7/8″ squares (M)
1 – 9-1/4″ strip. Cut into:
- 2 – 9-1/4″ squares. Cut these on the diagonal twice so you have 8 triangles (X)
- 8 – 4-1/2″ squares (V) (See Note Below)
NOTE: You need a total of 12 of each of the 4-1/2″ colored squares. Depending on the width of your fabric, and how many squares you were able to cut from the remainder of the 9-1/4″ strips, cut a 4-1/2″ strip and cut the remaining 4-1/2″ squares . . just so you end up with 12 – 4-1/2″ squares of each color!
7. Sew a 1-1/2″ black strip (I) to the top and bottom of a gold 2-1/2″ strip (J). Make 1/2 strip set. Cut into 12 – 1-1/2″ segments.
8. Sew a segment from Step 7 to two opposite sides of the units from Step 6. Make 6.
9. Assemble the block, using segments from Steps 5 and 8, together with one (per block) of each of the four colored squares. (V) Be sure to keep the numbers in the right order. If you don’t keep the #1 color in the spot on all blocks, your design will be off. Look at the cheat sheet you downloaded on Monday.
NOTE: Virginia asked which way the strips from Step 5 go. They can go towards the #1 and #3 squares or they can go towards the #2 and #4 squares . . just be consistent in the way you place them. Some fabrics won’t even show which way they go. My first quilt with the black fabric . . doesn’t show where the seam is but some fabrics, it will matter.
Make 6 blocks.
Virginia Hershberger says
I’m working on Morning Splash #3 and don’t know which way to attach the block from step 5 to make the block in step 9. Do you put the 1 1/2 x 4 1/2 accent strip towards the center of the block? This is my first attempt at making a quilt from computer instructions. Thanks for your help.