This is kind of a no recipe but here’s what I do.
- Run the tomatoes through a juicer or sauce maker. I use the hand crank model shown here. I have an older electric model but for some reason, I prefer the hand crank one and haven’t even seen the electric one in years.
- You’re going to want about twice as much juice as you think you’ll want soup. If you want 2 quarts of soup, make 3-1/2 to 4 quarts juice.
- Saute some finely chopped onions and garlic in olive oil. Cook til the onions are clear.
- Add the juice and simmer the juice til it begins to thicken. I simmer mine for probably 4 hours. After about 3 hours, throw in some basil, oregano, salt and fresh cracked pepper. We use lots of basil but use whatever suits your tastes.
- Continue simmering and I let it get a little thicker than I actually want the soup to be.
- Before serving, I let the soup cool down and then add some Half & Half to make it really creamy. Then heat it on low til hot.
- Serve with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese and crackers.