For those of you who have done Prairie Schooler Santas or even if you haven’t but have advice . .
I know the real answer to all the of these questions is this: Do whatever makes me happy. But would you please read my questions and give me your thoughts? I don’t want to start this and be unhappy with my results and I’d like to make a lot of these santas and I’d like them all to be the same size.
As far as I know, they’re 75 x 57 stitches.
- Done on 18 count linen (called for fabric), Prairie Schooler says they will be 4-1/8″ x 3-1/4″. That tells me that they’re stitching over one thread, right?
- Stitching over 1 thread on 18 count linen will produce the same size project as stitching over 2 threads on 36 count linen, right? OK . . horrible analogy and hate me for it but . . when I’m stitching over one thread on a linen with bigger holes . . I can hardly even type this . . it reminds of a rather obese person on the beach wearing a string bikini. The threads kinda get lost and I don’t see a crisp “X” (on the cross stitching . . not on the obese person). Honestly, I haven’t been to a beach in so long and I haven’t seen an obese person in a string bikini probably ever except on gross cards and I don’t even know why I’ve seen those so please . . just answer my question and don’t let your mind wander! 🙂
- If I used the 18 count and stitched over 1 or 36 count and stitched over 2, the stitched area would be 4-1/8″ x 3-1/4″ would make a good pillow size but if I used maybe 20 count and stitched over 2, the piece would be 7-1/2″ x 5-3/4″. That’s larger than I would want for a pillow but I was thinking I could use styrofoam and make them into “cubes”. You can see how Denise finished Jack here. I could stick them anywhere and they would be easy to pack (but so would pillows).
- Do I want to stitch them all on the same color linen? I think I want to make them all the same size but maybe different linens might be cute . . maybe?
- Any other thoughts you may have would be appreciated.
I had a piece of 20 count Evenweave that was a little sample from XJu in a recent linen order.
- Stitches on the left: 2 stands over 2 threads. These would be big 7-1/2 x 5-3/4. On 20 count, I can stitch it without a magnifier so this would make a great travel project (and you know how much I travel . . NONE!!)
- Middle stitches – 2 strands over 1 thread. This looks bulky and doesn’t show crisp “x”s to me.
- Right stitches – 1 strand over 1 thread. Think . . string bikini. The threads disappear into the holes.
The only ones I’m happy with are the 2 strands over 2 threads.
I have a large piece of 18 count Aida that I must have ordered for this project. I may stitch a bit on it and see what I think.
I’m sure I’m overthinking this but help would be appreciated. This is pretty much a long term commitment with all these annual Santas and I’d like to be thrilled with my choices.