Since I see Addie today and since Thanksgiving is just a couple of days away, it’s a good thing I got this little pillow finished.
The last pillow I made, I put right sides together (backing, front with a piece of fabric underneath it) and sewed around all four edges, leaving about a 3″ opening for turning and stuffing but then I was hand stitching through all the layers.
This time, I chose the backing fabric. Since Addie loves her chickens, I used a chicken fabric.
I cut the backing the same width as the top but made the length (top to bottom) longer. I didn’t measure, just cut two pieces the same size as the top.
Next, I put the backing pieces right sides together and sewed them, along the long edge, leaving an opening.
I just eyeballed it and didn’t mark it but added the marks so it would be easy to see in the photo where there was an opening.
For a moment, I considered leaving the backing showing on the top and bottom but decided to only leave it at the top. I auditioned several colors of rick rack and chose the green.
Next, I decided how much of the backing fabric I wanted showing at the top, pressed that fold line, then trimmed the excess fabric off the bottom, positioned it so the side and bottom raw edges were together, right sides together, stitched all the way around.
I turned it through the opening in the back.
After stuffing, that left the opening in the back to be sewing closed. It was much easier sewing through cotton fabric than sewing through the backing, the linen and the extra layer of white cotton fabric.
The End! I hope she loves it.