Chad has been wanting to make homemade tasso. I did a blog post about it here. That page is super slow to load. I think it’s because the photos are stored on a photo storage site that’s slow but if you want to make it, here are the ingredients for the spices:
If you want details, you can click on the link and wait for the page to load but here’s the quick version:
- Start with a pork butt or roast.
- Slice it into 1 to 1-1/2″ chunks.
- Mix the above seasonings. Sprinkle them on the meat.
- Put the meat in a zipper bag and keep it in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- Take it out, put it in a pan, put the pan over a larger pan of ice.
- Place it in front of a fan (not a wimpy fan) for about an hour. Flip the meat over and let it sit under the fan for an hour.
- Smoke the meat at 200 for 5 – 6 hours.
This is the best meat for seasoning beans. I used the last package out of my freezer a few weeks ago so I’m making more when I get home.
So it’s a marinade, but not quite or not really?