I’ve been pretty frustrated trying to find a house here. It’s a very hard place to find a house to start with but there are so few listings right now. If you’ve followed this, you know that I started out looking for something like a one bedroom, one bath apartment – something to keep us from having to stay in hotels when we’re here. Eating out every day would make me crazy. I found an apartment, talked the lady into letting us bring Rita but then Vince decided he didn’t want to do that. He’d rather buy a house. I’ve been apprehensive about that because of (1) keeping the yard up (2) safety of it being empty while we’re gone for probably five or six weeks at a time and (3) as many of you have mentioned, if Chad gets transferred or changes jobs and leaves town. It doesn’t bother me to sell a place and find another one. It isn’t our “home” so it isn’t like it would be a big move.
Also, the small house has gone from Vince insisting we have a basement because I’m afraid of storms, him wanting a fireplace, a garage and a shop. What? Our little house here is going to be nicer than our home!
Last night I talked to a friend who lived here when we did. They moved away just a couple of months before we did so it’s been well over 8 years since they left and they still haven’t sold their house here. It isn’t a bad house . . they’ve reduced the price, they’ve had contracts that fell through, they’ve had renters that were supposed to buy it and didn’t. They were probably only here three years . . maybe less.
I had wanted our own place, apartment or small house, so we could leave our clothes and things here and not have to pack for a trip, then go home with dirty clothes. I wanted to leave bedding, pillows, clothes, projects, favorite pots, Instant Pot, air fryer, etc. here. But . . are we really willing to make that kind of investment.
Today I began looking at cabin rentals. I found two . . both said NO PETS! We will not leave Rita. I wrote both of them and asked if they would consider a small, well behaved dog with a deposit. One said no and . . one said yes! I’m pretty sure that cabin doesn’t have internet. Vince said he could live with it. I can live without internet for a week. There is a TV.
As soon as I get home and get some dates when my friend can care for the chickens, I’ll book us a trip back to MO.
This is a good development. I’d rather Vince look at houses, look at areas . . then make decisions what to buy, where to buy or .. not to buy! I’m going to bed tonight feeling confident!