Not everyone here is interested in sewing clothes from knit fabrics so I’ll try to keep the posts to a minimum and in the future, I’ll try to include as much info about fabric/pattern, etc. as I can and if there’s more you want to know please ask. I’ll combine the two projects I’ve done into this post.
The first thing I made was Addie’s Cardi. The pattern is from Patterns for Pirates. Their patterns, from what little I know, seem to be well written and true to size. The exact pattern is Butterfly Cardi. You can buy the child size pattern or you can buy the bundle, which includes the adult cardi also.
I used polar fleece because it happened to be what I have here . . before any of my ordered fabric had arrived. I went up a size because I was afraid the bulk of the fleece was going to make it snug. I do no recommend sewing polar fleece for this pattern. Did not enjoy that at all but Addie is going to love it.
Pattern used: Butterfly Cardi
Fabric used: Polar Fleece that I had sitting around (Patches on the pockets are Michael Miller pin dot – 100% woven cotton)
Mods I made:
- It has sewn in side pockets but because of the bulk with the outer pockets, I did not add the sewn in pockets.
- The pattern tells you to fold the front band in half, then sew the band to the cardi, right sides together and serge the edges. When the band flaps back, those serged edges would show and it’s not a BIG deal but I sewed the band to the cardi, right sides together without folding the band in half, then I turned the raw edge under and top stitched it down so no raw or serged edges are easily seen.
The second project is my tunic.
The fabric is ITY Jersey that I purchased through Amazon but it came from Fabric.com. This is basically the first real knit thing I’ve sewn and it could not have been easier. It can probably be made, start to finish in an hour or less. Very, very easy to make and amazingly comfortable to wear. Last night I modeled it for Vince, then put it across the back of the sofa, meaning to hang it up and forgot. It ended up scrunched up in Rita’s bed and when I picked it up this morning . . not a wrinkle in sight!
I can’t say enough about this pattern. Even with the V neck, I can bend over and it isn’t so loose that I’m covering the opening with my hand.
- I meant to cut the neckline as a round scoop neck but accidentally cut on the “V” neck. Not a big deal.
- I took my measurements but because I hate tight clothes, I went with the size that was closer to the very lose measurements and next time, I’ll make the next smaller size which will be according to my exact measurements.
- I made the tunic length but shortened about 2″. Next time, I’ll make the regular shirt length which will probably be a couple of inches shorter than this one but still plenty long.
I think that’s it . . should answer all your questions. If not, holler back at me.