This is what we had for breakfast Saturday morning – Amish Breakfast Casserole.
I did the following items ahead and it was assembled in less than 5 minutes . . in less time than it took my oven to preheat:
- Sauteed the onions.
- Prepped the potatoes (see this blog post).
- Cooked the bacon.
- Measured out the cheese and cottage cheese (except I used ricotta).
Saturday morning, I was able to get the casserole in the oven, get a shower while it was cooking, and be ready to start my day .. with only one bowl and the baking dish to clean up.
The eggs were cracked and whipped, then the rest of the ingredients added. Seriously, it took less than 5 minutes.
Here are changes I made to the recipe:
- I halved the recipe. It says the whole recipe will feed 12.
- The whole recipe calls for 6 eggs but 3 looked like it needed more so I ended up using 5 eggs.
- The recipe calls for no seasoning. I used Slap Ya Mama . . big surprise there, huh? And I added salt and pepper.
- I added a handful of green onions.
- Because I had lots of ricotta and not so much cottage cheese, I substituted ricotta for the cottage cheese.
It was delicious and it is a great recipe for something you need to put together quickly.