For about a month now I’ve been using the Nesco roaster instead of the oven. My plan is that this summer, I’ll stick the roaster on the front porch and use it instead of heating up the kitchen with the oven. Even without considering the heating aspect, with the cost of propane up so high right now, it has to be less expensive to run the Nesco roaster and it does a great job with anything that needs to be baked or roasted.
The model that I have is the 12 quart and it has convection, which is simply a fan at the top back which can be turned on or off. The fan blows the air around and helps with browning and cooking a bit faster without raising the temperature.
There are larger and smaller size roasters, as well as other brands. This is my second Nesco and I’ve been very happy with them. I can see the following uses for them:
- Use on the porch or garage instead of heating up the kitchen with the oven.
- Use when you need a bit more oven space.
- Take along with a covered dish when going to someone’s home for a meal and you aren’t sure if they’re going to have oven space.
- Great for camping if you have electricity available.
- Great for anything that might splatter and make a mess. Instead of having to clean the regular oven, the insert to the Nesco comes out and can be washed in the kitchen sink.
After using mine several times a week for the past month, I can’t believe it was stuck in storage for 2-1/2 years and I had totally forgotten about it. That won’t happen again.