Our new baby chicks should be shipped Wednesday and arrive Thursday. We’ve been getting everything ready for their arrival – new tub, plenty of wood shavings, medicated feed, sterilized the watering containers. The guys on the radio were talking this morning and I thought I heard them say “snow” so I looked at our weather forecast.
This is typical Texas weather I suppose. We had 70º days over the weekend, nights were in the upper 30’s. Yesterday I was out in the garden with flip flops and a short sleeved T-shirt. If our chicks get shipped Wednesday, they will be in a post office or in transit on Thursday night and our low is going to be 15º. Not good!
Our other baby chicks were a month old over the weekend. They’re pretty much feathered out now and could go into the big coop if the weather was warmer but they’ll stay in their tub in the shop for probably at last another month.
Wish us luck with our new arrivals. The weather certainly is not cooperating but if they are alive when we get them, we can keep them warm and keep their bellies full.
Helen Koenig1 says
Definitely hoping the weatherman is wrong wrong WRONG! and that the baby chicks arrive fine, noisy and ready to go!
Linda M says
I hope everything works out well with the new babies. Hopefully the temps won’t get too low.
Sue K says
will there be any insulation inside the box with them? Hope so. Weather not good here in NW Indiana. White out conditions on the way. the county east of us could get up to 2 feet of lake effect snow. Makes the 5-8″ here seem like nothing!
Cathy Stoddard says
Hopefully, the drivers will keep them up in the cab where it is warm and take them to the office at night to keep warm. Good luck!
I’m so happy you are getting new chicks. I look forward to seeing what kind of personalities they have.
I’m thinking you should have knitted them each a little sweater and sent it ahead to the hatchery so they could be warm in transit! (evil, wicked grin)
Does the hatchery check the weather before they ship? When I order plants, often the nursery will not send them until weather conditions are favorable. Unexpected storms are one thing, but when snow is predicted, it would be nice to know that they would wait to send those babies until temperatures warm up a bit!
Evelyn Starfishy says
I agree with Joan! Hopefully they will check the weather before shipping chicks! We are supposed to get 12″ of snow in Mass. tonight. Might be a good night for me to do a bit of on-line shopping myself! Cheers! Evelyn
Judy you mentioned snow, well if you want some we have 190″ so far and we will be so happy to share. If nothing else, it’s great weather for snowing.
No, thanks! One of the reasons we left MO and chose TX was so we would have ZERO snow and ice but this winter has us questioning whether we moved far enough south.
Sharon in Michigan says
I can’t wait to see pics of the new babies! It’s still amazing to me that they’re shipped thru the mail. Cuddle them and keep them warm, Mama.