Last night while looking for the picture of my tomato plants all draped in netting, I came across this blog post from 2008. This is why I LOVE blogging! It made me smile and it almost made me cry. Vince was already asleep but I wanted to wake him and read it to him. If you’re interested, you can click on the link and read the whole thing but here are some of the better parts. Remember, this was written in 2008.
If you’ve ever paid attention to anything I’ve written, please pay attention to this post! This proves that with the right amount of determination and shear bullheadedness, if you want something badly enough, it can happen . . even when you do not truly believe it will happen. I wanted the lifestyle I described below so badly but from what I wrote, I truly didn’t think it would ever happen.
If I could do anything I want to do as far as how I live my life, I’d find about 40 acres in the woods somewhere. I’d clear out enough to have a house and a really big garden. I’d have some chickens and some goats. But that will never work for several reasons:
- Vince has no desire to live out in the woods. Yard work, which would also involve chicken coops, fencing, etc. is something he’ll never be interested in doing.
- I’m a big chicken. If Vince were out of town, I’d be scared to death after dark if I didn’t have neighbors and street lights. Big dogs and burglar alarms don’t help .. I’m just a real fraidy cat.
- I don’t like to sweat! Having a big garden sounds fun and I do good til the weeds take over. Planting is fun . . it’s still kinda cool when it’s time to plant. Getting those first few veggies are fun . . nothing like home grown veggies. But then . . all of a sudden, there are beans, and tomatoes, and peppers, and squash, and it all starts coming in at once and I’m having to weed and water and prune and can and by now it’s HOT and it’s work and not fun any more and I lose interest.
- I’m not much on getting up early. Real farmers have to wake up early and go to bed early. I hate going to bed and I hate getting up. Maybe if I had to do it, I’d be out weeding at daylight . . maybe not!
My edits as of today (May 18, 2013)
- I thought it would never work . . and it did! I wanted 40 acres. I don’t know where that magical number came from but as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted 40 acres. We now have 45 acres. We have the garden, the chickens and even Vince is wanting to get a few goats.
- Vince will crack up when he reads the part about yard work, chicken coops and fencing because that’s all he seems to have time to do these days.
- I’m still a big chicken but I’m doing so much better. I have stayed out here by myself and I wasn’t as scared as I thought I would be.
- I don’t like to sweat . . who does? I think I’m doing really good at maintaining a big garden . . and sweating!
- I’m doing good at getting up early but not so good at going to bed early. I need to work on that . . I’m always tired.
At the end of that 2008 post, I said this:
So, my unsolicited advice – think about what/who you want to be and start today taking steps to become that person!
I stand by that! Look where it got me, when even I didn’t believe it was ever going to happen.