Agree or disagree . . with all my prepping, no matter how well I felt I was prepared, without a source of water, I felt lacking. The pump was hooked up wrong to the solar panels last week and immediately burned up the pump and control box so the new ones arrived this morning. Vince hooked everything up this afternoon and . . it was time to test it! I think Vince was a bit nervous after having burned up a brand new pump already but it wasn’t his fault. The guy at the pump place told him how to hook it up and the minute the pump burned up, the guy realized he had told Vince wrong so the company replaced the pump and control box.
Vince put the pump into a bucket of water to be sure it was working before dropping it into the well. The test worked so he dropped the pump down the well and turned it on and waited for water to come out the hose.
It took a minute or two, which seemed like a very long time . . thoughts running through our heads about whether or not it was going to work. The solar pump we got only pumps about 2 gallons per minute which is fine for the price. We’ll finish filling the 3,000 gallon tank and any time we need pressure, we’ll pull water from the tank. Otherwise, 2 gallons per minute is fine for leaving a hose around the fruit trees.
Mostly I wanted it to survive in case there’s a time when we have no electricity to pump from the main well.
It will take us a while of pumping to get the water clear and clean and once we do that, we’ll finish filling the tank. We already filled it about half full from the house well. Vince wanted to put enough water in it to keep it from blowing away and we ended up putting about 1,500 gallons in it.
With a 3,000 gallon tank full and a solar powered pump, I feel real good about our water needs. Vince is happy to have that done and everything working.