Tuesday morning my plan was to sew the binding on four tops. The plan was to be done by noon. As most always happens around here, things didn’t go according to plan. I always almost always make the binding as soon as I finish the top. It goes into this basket and it’s so nice to have it all done when I’m ready to use it. I usually trim the quilts as soon as I take them off the longarm too.
I knew I had the four tops to bind but ended up seeing two more that needed binding. Of the six quilts, only two were trimmed and only two had the binding already made! That slowed me down! I made the binding for the remaining four tops, as well as a fifth top that will use the same binding but the top isn’t made. Trimmed all the quilts and got the binding sewn on three of them before lunch. Went to a haircut appointment, came home and had a friend drop by and visit and managed to get the remaining three bound just in time to start dinner.
This is the stack of quilts with the binding on, waiting for the handwork. That’s 22 quilts! I tried binding one by machine the other day. Ughh . . I don’t think it looked very good. It will take me lots of practice to be pleased with doing them by machine. I’m not giving up but for these quilts, they’ll probably all get done by hand. Some are gifts; some will be used in my trunk show; some are for workshops . . most will be seen up close and personal by lots of quilters. Nothing wrong with doing the binding all by machine . . if it looks good. Mine doesn’t look good . . yet.