Last night I used one of my little tubs of Knorr Homestyle Stock. Once I mixed the stock with water, I tasted it and it’s much more flavorful than regular storebought canned broth. Only half got black olives because Chad doesn’t like them.
Here’s the recipe I used:
Southwest Chicken & Rice
4 chicken breasts, cut into smaller than bite size pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 container Knorr’s Homestyle Chicken Stock, mixed with 3-1/2 cups warm water
1-1/2 cups salsa
1 – 15 oz. canned whole kernel corn, drained
1-1/2 cups raw long grain rice
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. black olives, sliced
1. Heat butter and olive oil in Dutch Oven with a lid.
2. Brown chicken. Add chopped onion and continue cooking til onion is tender.
3. Stir in stock mixture, salsa, corn, pepper, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.
4. Stir in raw rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 – 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Stir in cilantro. Check to see if the dish needs salt. If so, stir in salt to taste.
6. Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over top. Spread black olives over cheese. Bake about 10 minutes at 350º or until cheese melts.
Makes 8 servings. We froze half for another day.
Serve with guacamole, sour cream and chips for an almost Mexican meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total Cooking time: 1 hour