At Paducah in 2007, I bought a sewing machine. I didn’t need a sewing machine so I don’t know why I did that . . because my friend bought one and it was a heck of a deal I guess but anyway, I’ve never given it a chance. I set it up shortly after I got it but because Mom has a Bernina and I can use my same feet when I’m sewing at her house, and because different machines seem to have a different version of 1/4″ inch when it comes to those seams, I went back to sewing on the Bernina.
The Bernina has been in the shop for 2 weeks now and I’ve been piecing on a Singer 301. I love those 301 machines and do a lot of my piecing on them. I miss the needle up feature but thankfully, I’ve never gotten real attached to the knee lift, though both the Berninas and the Baby Lock have the knee lift. I pretty much keep the walking foot on the Bernina for doing bindings. The walking foot for the 301 doesn’t thrill me so the plan was to add the bindings when I get the Bernina back. By Sunday, I already had four tops needing binding so I figured I’d better get out the Bernina 930 or find the walking foot for the Baby Lock.
Though I can’t get an insert for this machine for my cabinet, it fits pretty nicely in there. So I set it up with the walking foot and sewed the binding on those four quilts. Then I decided to put the 1/4″ foot on and do some piecing on it. I think I might love this machine. That little button that cuts the top and bobbin thread . . that might just cause the old Bernina to become my backup machine!